Did you know a polar bear used to call the tower of London home? Or that the Holy Roman Emperor loved a a good lion? From the playthings of the elite, sprung centres of learning and conservation that would come to be the modern zoos we know today...But hold your horses, cause there’s an elephant in the room. Quite literally. Zoo’s have a much darker past and possibly present than you may think...
“The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.” - Mahatma Gandhi
So join us in Episode 3 as we delve into the dark world of the zoo where we let the (big) cat out of the bag...
- Nigel Rothfels, ‘Have Modern Zoos Really Put Their History Behind Them? – Nigel T Rothfels | Aeon Essays’, Aeon, accessed 3 November 2020, https://aeon.co/essays/have-modern-zoos-really-put-their- history-behind-them.
- Sam Willis and James Daybell, Histories of the Unexpected: How Everything Has a History (London: Atlantic Books, 2018).‘
- Introducing the Modern Zoo’, Zoological Society of London (ZSL), accessed 3 November 2020, https://www.zsl.org/education/introducing-the-modern-zoo.
- Lee Jackson, Palaces of Pleasure: From Music Halls to the Seaside to Football, How the Victorians Invented Mass Entertainment (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2019).
- Nigel Rothfels, Savages and Beasts: The Birth of the Modern Zoo (Animals, History, Culture) (Johns Hopkins University Press, 2002).
- Matthew White, ‘The Enlightenment’, The British Library (The British Library), accessed 3 November 2020, https://www.bl.uk/restoration-18th-century-literature/articles/the-enlightenment.‘
- The Tower of London Menagerie’, Historic Royal Palaces, accessed 3 November 2020, https://www.hrp.org.uk/tower-of-london/history-and-stories/the-tower-of-london-menagerie/.
- Lorraine Boissoneault, ‘The World’s First Zoo’, JSTOR Daily, November 2015, https://daily.jstor.org /leopards-hippos-cats-oh-worlds-first-zoo/.
- ‘Zoo’, National Geographic Society, July 2011, http://www.nationalgeographic.org/encyclopedia/zoo/.‘
- Zoo | Animals & Facts’, Encyclopedia Britannica, accessed 3 November 2020, https://www.britannica.com/science/zoo.
- Ned Dodington, ‘Zoo: A Brief History Part 1’, The Expanded Environment (blog), accessed 3 November 2020, http://www.expandedenvironment.org/a-brief-history-of-the-zoo-part-1/.